Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Creativity

According to several classes I had yesterday, school has killed the creativity of man.

Take my Ends 101 class. I am in a freshman creativity class to fulfill my visual and performing arts credit. Yes, I need to graduate. Well, the professor passed out an apple to everyone in the class, had us close our eyes and pretend to be the apple. And then we could eat it. Perhaps higher education has killed my creativity. Growing up I was always creative, but as Dr. Hill was going through the slides, I couldn't help but to cringe at every slide...they were all different colors, each sentence was a different color, a different font, and I nearly went crazy with the lack of direction. Thank you business school. Also, according to this class, 90% of 1st graders are "Intuitive", but by high school, it's less than 10%. And a larger number of CEO's tend to be intuitive. Interesting...According to Meyers-Briggs, I'm intuitive. So either I'm like a 1st grader, or I will be the next great CEO.

In my Management class we had to read an article about "weighing the giraffe". It talked about this guy who went to the "gifted" classes, and none of the students could answer questions like "how do you weigh a giraffe" or "how does a bird fly" because they all wanted an exact answer, whereas he went to some regular under-achievers, asked the same question, and they all had answers. He attributed this to the under-achievers having street smarts where they always were having to make answers like this in order to survive, whereas the "gifted" went to french and music lessons. Guess I have street smarts! In elementary school I got into the gifted program because this lady tested my creative ability. "What can you do with these styrofoam cups" etc. Maybe they mis-diagnosed me and I should have stayed with the regular street-smart kids? Where would I be today?

Just a thought. Have school and lessons stifled our creativity? Where will the next great inventors and thinkers come from? Obviously not over tested stressed out high-achievers. Good job society! Way to kill our drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment