St. Valentine is no longer even recognized as a saint in the modern Catholic church. However, it has been turned into a much celebrated, "single-awareness" day.
The actual Saint Valentine was praised for marrying Christians/soldiers (depending on the story) and martyred for that on February 14th. Thus, the day of love. The day of a murder, is a day to celebrate. Ironic, is it not?
However, I do believe Valentine's should be a day to celebrate those in your life who are important to you. There are many types of love, and although Valentine's is thought to celebrate "eros", I celebrate all types. I would like to give thanks for all of them. Eros, Philia, Agape, Storge.
I thought my Valentine's day would be marred with images of sappy love, and that I would be forced to listen to my anti-Valentine's day playlist, however, I was very much surprised.
My Valentine's was spent at a rodeo, at a concert, eating heart shaped pancakes, making a margherita pizza from scratch, "Mambo Italiano", chocolate fondue and strawberries, watching a French foreign film, and at the movie theater. All with people I cherish.
I want to use this time to thank all the people in my life who have made it the wonderful experience it is.
"But I still haven't found, what I'm looking for."
'But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.' .... truth.
ReplyDeleteI'm in one of those weird, desperate, angsty phases at the moment. Ugh.