Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I am THOR hear me roar!

Today, I decided to delve a bit deeper into my family ancestry. I traced the usual path that I know, and then decided to branch off into England. Little did I know what I would discover!

In 1635, Christopher Lynn Foster came to America on the "Abigail" with 3 children and a young wife. One of his daughters is my great (11 x) grandmother. (Not to mention her grandson fought in the French and Indian war, and great-grandson and great-great grandson in the Revolution). Going back to Christopher Lynn---He was the son of a knight (John Foster) who's family for generations ruled over this castle. (Which coincidentally is featured in the new Robin Hood Movie).

Well, once you get to some sort of nobility, it's all intermarriage from there (as well as very accurate records). From this line I am descended from Lords of Croy, Sussex, and Etherstone, Dukes of Normandy, Count and Countesses of Barcelona, as well as King's and Queens! Kings of Scotland, England, and even viking Lord's. It is reported that I am even descended from William I *The Conqueror* himself. Just think...it only takes 32 generations for William I's descendant to be sitting in a house in Texas leading a relatively (in comparison) trivial life.

And let's go farther back (really, nobility records are crazy...they all have to prove they're someone...so they go WAY back). In 800 AD Jarl of Uplanders Glumra *The Noisy* Eystein, my...a lot of times removed grandfather on my fathers side, descended from none other than the Germanic God THOR himself (or so he says)! Now you see where I get my fight. ;)

I am surprised I've never found this before, but it really puts a sort of perspective on my life that I didn't have before...I am sitting here looking at several papers where I traced royal lineage, not only am I realizing that probably everyone has some sort of nobility in them...I am also seeing that if I don't do something amazing with my life, I definitely cannot blame it on the genes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete