Wednesday, February 17, 2010

College before high school

I have not decided if I like this yet, but students in 8 states will soon be able to take a test to start community college in 10th grade, so they graduate 2 years earlier.

My thoughts on this:
1. Staying with peers is important.
2. At least at my school, the high school teachers were better than community college teachers...the people who go to community college are....less than college material some of the time.
3. Graduating from college before you're 21...does not seem like an ideal situation
4. Do these states have the top 10% rule, because this would definitely skew that.
5. By the time they are graduating from college, will they even know what they want to do? These are formative years! People change their mind a lot and are definitely still maturing...

Then again, I know some people who did things like this their senior year. A family friend in Florida did. There, the level of education at high school, let alone the people who are going to college anyway is lower than my high school...so it was beneficial. Also, some people in Texas do dual enrollment where they do not offer AP classes. So, I guess if you count AP classes, I kind of started this, too. But for some reason, the way they're saying to do it, does not seem right. How will the kids get government and economics in high school? I guess that's what community college would be for.

NY Times-Link on Plan in the NE to let high schoolers start college early

No comments:

Post a Comment