I'm sure most of you know I am not Obama's number one fan, mainly on a lot of policy issues, but this is something that extends beyond health care reform, or the end of capitalism, this is about common courtesy.
If you know me at all, you should also know that I do support a lot of the initiatives that the current administration are taking to be friends with China. It's good to have powerful allies, but at the same time, not at the expense of offending a large world religion.
Well, turns out the Dalai Lama came to Washington DC to meet the President, which he has done for the past four presidents. But, Obama doesn't want to offend the Chinese so he is refusing to meet with him until he meets with the Chinese President...in November. Really?? This is a religious leader, yes, Tibetans (like the Taiwanese) believe they are not a part of China, but Buddhism and offending a religion has nothing to do with this. Just meet the Dalai Lama and extend the courtesy of friendship. I bet some of your Buddhist constituents aren't too happy.
From my perspective, it's like the Pope coming to the United States to meet the President, and because he wants to be friends with...Italy, he refuses to meet with the Pope until he meets with the Italian Prime Minister. Not acceptable.
Okay, I'm sorry, but this offends me. Even Bush presented him with the highest civilian honor. Civil Rights, come on! He came to the US to meet you! It's the freaking Dalai Lama! Show some respect!
Obama and the Dalai Lama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment