Saturday, June 20, 2009

Diaries




I recently had the opportunity this summer to read a light, but enjoyable read, The Nanny Diaries. After I was done, I decided to watch the movie because it is continually playing on one of those many movie channels on digital cable. The title is about where the similarities end.

The book expresses cynicism and disgust toward the Upper New York "mom", who is just as conceited as the Wall Street father and quite a bit more bitchy.

However, the movie portrays a used and abused mother, who just needed to see the light in order to change and become a beacon of love for her children (most often just child-because more would be too much work).

This would never happen in the book. She likes her prada and louis, and she would probably sell her first born to get it.

I have a feeling that the producer read the back cover of the book and missed the entire premise before production.

So thumbs up on the book and thumbs down on the movie for the inaccuracy in the portrayal of not only the characters attitudes, names (which, including the main character) but also the entire message.

No comments:

Post a Comment